vFlashFlashing of ECUs Easily and Quickly
vFlashFlashing of ECUs Easily and Quickly
- Beginning of the page
vFlash - Programming ECUs over CAN, CAN FD, FlexRay, LIN or Ethernet
vFlash is a very easy-to-use tool for programming ECUs via diagnostics (e.g. UDS). Thanks to the vFlash plug-in concept, vFlash can be used for all your projects. vFlash already supports more than 130 different flash specifications from over 80 vehicle manufacturers and can be easily extended.
- Flashing via all networks relevant for diagnostics: CAN, CAN FD, LIN, FlexRay, Ethernet (DoIP, SoAd = AUTOSAR Socket Adaptor)
- “Out-of-the-box” support for several Flash specifications from various OEMs
- Easy exchange of preconfigured Flash projects in one package (.vflashpack)
- Quick and easy creation of flash projects for different bootloaders, based on the vFlash templates
- High transfer rate: Example: transfer of 1.000 kByte data in 36,6 s (27,3 kByte/s) into an idealized reference ECU over CAN at 500 kBit/s with STmin = 0, BS = 0
- Support of various data formats
- Interactive control via GUI or automated control via API
- Remote software update/flashing from a distance
vFlash is designed for all users at automotive OEMs and suppliers whose tasks include (re-)programming of ECUs. vFlash allows users to flash ECUs in the laboratory, at programming stations, at a laboratory vehicle or in the vehicle very efficiently.
vFlash can be controlled via a graphical user interface or it can be simply integrated as a library in an existing environment. With the special edition “vFlash Station” you may simultaneously flash up to 8 ECUs each on a separate communication channel.
vFlash Bootloader Support
Vector offers prepared vFlash Templates for a large number of different automotive OEMs and bootloaders.
Remote Diagnostics & Flashing - Enormous Time Savings at Webasto Battery Systems
The demand for Webasto battery systems is growing steadily. The Field Application Engineers (FAE) are faced with the challenge of meeting a support demand that is growing by 50-100% annually. This cannot be easily compensated for by expanding the FAE team in terms of personnel.
Enormous time savings with Vector´s remote diagnostic tools Indigo and vFlash: Without remote diagnostic tools, about 90% of the customer meetings took place on-site. Today the ratio is reversed, about 85% of the meetings take place remotely. As a result, instead of 1-2 customer issues per week, up to 10 customer issues are now processed per FAE.
Highlights Version 7
vFlash Remote Extensions
- vFlash Remote now supports the use of manufacturer-specific security mechanisms, even if they are not available at the location of use.
- New vFlash Remote infrastructure: Significantly easier user handling and now also security certified by Security Assessment.
- Support of different OEM-specific “in-vehicle Ethernet/DoIP” protocols, such as “Volvo Car in-ve-hicle DoIP”.
- Simplified configuration: Selection of the adapter directly in vFlash and easy to understand display of all essential settings and properties.
- Optional use of a user-defined tester MAC address
- vFlash already supports a large number of manufacturer-specific ODX-F extensions (e.g. external signature files). With the new version 7 vFlash now offers the possibility to program flash sessions from multiple ODX-F files (EcuMems) in one programming process.
- With the new “Statistic View”, the user can immediately see what takes up the most time in a flash process and where optimizations can be made.
- vFlash now also supports the new Mazda vbf Flash container format.
- Flexible referencing of flashware in the development phase for quick testing of made code changes or simple exchange of preconfigured flash projects in a single package
- Tracing of the CAN communication for later analysis in case of an error
- Authentication based on the cross-tool applicable Security Manager sources from OEMs and suppliers
- Protection of DoIP communication by means of TLS (ISO13400-3).
- Flexible extension of OEM flash sequences by so-called “custom actions”, which are executed before and/or after flashing
- Direct “native” programming of data in Intel-Hex, Motorola-S and binary format or alternatively programming based on container formats like ODX-F and manufacturer-specific formats
- Documentation and quality assurance of flash actions in flash reports using custom action
- Encoding or data backup with data recovery using custom actions
- Flashing of compressed and encrypted data
- Interactive flashing via the user interface and automated flashing via a programming interface (C API and C# API), for process integration and integration into an existing software environment
- Validation of the flash bootloader in the ECU in combination with CANoe.DiVa (via CAN, FlexRay, DoIP, LIN)
- Standalone flashing with the VN8810 intelligent diagnostic hardware
- The “vFlash Station” variant enables simultaneous flashing of several ECUs, each via a separate channel
- Simultaneous flashing of several identical LIN ECUs using “LIN Broadcast Flashing”
- Remote flashing of ECUs from any location with vFlash Remote - can also be used outside of a company network
With vFlash Remote the user can reprogram ECUs independent of location.
Users benefit from the following advantages:
- Easy reprogramming of ECUs remotely - entirely independent of location and without much organizational effort or cost.
- High degrees of flexibility and reliability, especially on vehicle test drives and offshore production plants.
- Secure and reliable flashing procedure
- Intuitive setup of the remote communication infrastructure.
- Increased efficiency and reduced costs thanks to usage of existing vFlash packages.
vFlash Remote is executed by the expert in his office. It controls the reprogramming procedure. The Access Point runs at the vehicle/ECU location and updates the ECU(s) with new software.
vFlash Access Point may be executed either
- Simply via the intelligent VN8810 Diagnostic Device which already integrates the vFlash Access Point.
- Via a Windows-based PC with an installed vFlash Access Point and Vector Network Interface.
The download of the vFlash Access Point required for this can be requested by clicking the TAB "Download Access Point" at this content element.
The remote connection between vFlash Remote and the vFlash Access Point is always encrypted. This ensures that flash data cannot be seen or manipulated by third parties. Furthermore, the transfer of flash data to the Access Point is decoupled from ECU reprogramming. Reprogramming is not started until the data to be flashed has been fully transferred to the Access Point and has passed a plausibility check.
The user gets added transparency from continuous display of progress information during the flash procedure, qualified status feedback after completion and optional generation of a report for documentation purposes.
Like vFlash, vFlash Remote works with flash templates which implement the flash specifications of the automotive OEMs. Currently, more than 140 templates are available for over 80 different OEMs.
vFlash Remote Access Point - Request Download
(as standalone flash device)
|VN5610A, VN5620/VN5430, VN5640,|
|VN7572, VN8970, VN8972||X||X||X|
(1) = with option CAN respectively FlexRay
(2) = without SoAd support
- If installed on a PC it offers a graphical user interface for creating and configuring flash setups and for flashing ECUs. It also offers a simple C and C# programming interface (API) to create own applications that use vFlash to execute reprogramming.
- If installed on a VN8810 vFlash can be used as standalone flash device.
- If installed on a VN89xx or VT System vFlash is usually controlled by CANoe. In this case CANoe is executing extensive test scenarios and triggers vFlash to change the software as required (e.g. switch between test software and drive software).
The vFlash Station edition is used for parallel reprogramming of up to eight (8) ECUs via a separate CAN (FD), LIN, FlexRay or Ethernet (DoIP) channel. The edition is used on a PC. It offers a simple C and C# programming interface (API) to create your own applications that perform different automation tasks and additionally control vFlash.
The use of the vFlash Station is explained by several examples (C++ and C#) included in the scope of delivery. Based on these examples, an existing automation software can be easily extended.
vFlash Remote is an additional option that extends vFlash to reprogram ECUs from a distant location. The vFlash option Remote requires a current version of vFlash. An ECU/module expert can remotely reprogram ECUs from his office - world-wide or just at a distant development garage. Only the expert requires vFlash and vFlash Option Remote. On the vehicle side only the vFlash Access Point is necessary. It can be downloaded for free from the Vector website.
|Operating System*||Windows 10 (≥ version 1803)|
> 2 GHz
≥ 2 cores
|Memory||4 GB||2 GB|
|Screen resolution||> 1280 x 1024|
1024 x 768
|Operating System*||Windows 10 (≥ version 1803)|
> 2,5 GHz
≥ 4 cores
|Memory||8 GB||4 GB|
* Not virtualized. Running in a virtual machine is possible but not tested. Operation with Vector hardware may be affected by virtualization, e.g., higher latencies may occur.
** Only library, no graphical user interface
Do you have technical questions and are looking for suitable answers? Our KnowledgeBase provides the most important!
News / Events
The number and complexity of control units used in automobiles has increased tremendously. It is therefore important to include diagnostics in the development process of control units from an early stage.
Our training classes and workshops will provide you not only with a basic understanding of diagnostics. Especially with practical exercises you will gain a comprehensive view on the Vector diagnostic tool chain.