Data Logging with GL LoggerAny Place. Any Environment.
GL LoggerThe GL Logger Family for Automotive and Commercial Vehicles
- Beginning of the page
Data Logging with the GL Logger Family
The GL Loggers are special automotive data recorders which can be used in test vehicles or on test benches. They record measurement values and acquire the data communications of CAN/CAN FD, LIN, FlexRay and Ethernet bus systems.
Beside bus communication you can store in addition internal ECU parameters via CCP/XCP and diagnostics as well as measured values of digital and analog inputs in a time-synchronous manner.
- Flexible loggers for test fleet operators and individual testing tasks
- Permanent use in vehicles due to low current consumption in Sleep/Standby mode
- Robust equipment for summer and winter trials
- Reliable during long-duration recordings
- Event-driven recording for data reduction
- Supports the early quality assurance of the later mass production
Whether you are busy in automotive, commercial or transportation industry the GL Loggers support these application areas:
- Stand-alone tools for challenging logging tasks
- Very short start-up times
- Extensive filter and trigger conditions
- Support of diagnostics and CCP/XCP
- Compact data storage on SD/CF cards or SSD with high memory capacities
- Quick data read-out
- Graphical configuration tool makes it easy to configure
- Offline analysis with the familiar Vector software tools CANoe, CANalyzer, CANape and vSignalyzer
- Cloud service for remote access of loggers
- Time-synchronous logging of CAN, CAN FD, LIN, FlexRay and Ethernet
- Very short start-up times
- Power management for permanent use in test fleets, very low power consumption in sleep and standby mode
- System startup is based on various configurable wake-up sources, such as messages on the CAN or LIN bus
- Extensive filter conditions to reduce data volume
- Complex trigger conditions for triggering on frames, signals, inputs, manual button activation
- Import of databases DBC, LDF, FIBEX and ARXML (AUTOSAR format)
- Possible to send CAN/CAN FD frames
- Timeout monitoring for frames
- Multiple analog inputs available as well as digital inputs and outputs
- Measuring modules from CSM for precision measurements or high-voltage measurements
- Online classification for compact storage of statistical data during the test drive
- Battery-buffered real-time clock for logging date and clock time
- Compact storage of logging data on quickly removable storage media with high capacities
- Pushbuttons on loggers and on remote control for manually initiating a trigger
- Status indicator with LEDs on the logger or the remote control, or on display
- Signal tone can be output for events using the configurable buzzer
- Fast read-out of the data directly via USB of the loggers, via SSD or via SD/CF card in commercially available card readers
- Wireless data transmission for automated upload of logged data and update of a new logger configuration via Wi-Fi or mobile communication (4G/LTE)
- Automatic conversion of the logged data depending on the bus system into frame based, signal based and raw data formats
vLoggerCloud is the easy-to-use infrastructure for all steps around data acquisition in vehicle testing. Starting with the creation of a measurement configuration and its distribution in the fleet, the loggers deliver measurement data via LTE to the cloud, where it can be managed, converted, and analyzed.
In the process, multiple Vector products interlock seamlessly:
- Vector Logger Suite (VLS): preparing the loggers to connect to the cloud. Configuration of measurement tasks and assignment to test vehicles.
- GL Logger: recording of bus communication in the vehicle and transfer of recorded data via LTE to the cloud.
- vMDM Client: management of data sets based on metadata; configuration of conversion jobs.
- vSignalyzer/CANape: analysis of data up to data mining and report generation.
- vMDM pro: Powerful service for managing measurement data and access rights, as well as for automated execution of data mining algorithms and generation of reports.
All components use the Vector Logger Cloud for data storage and as a link to communicate with each other. This also enables very efficient collaboration of the responsible persons from different offices.
- GL Loggers are monitoring interfaces for the monitoring of bus communication with CANoe or CANalyzer
- Easy connection of computer with CANoe or CANalyzer with the logger via Ethernet
- Use the existing logger connections to the vehicle buses
- License for the bus systems in CANoe or CANalyzer required
Offline Analysis with Vector Tools and 3rd Party Tools
Diagnostic Functions of the GL Loggers
GL loggers have extensive and easy-to-configure vehicle diagnostics support, enabling more comprehensive vehicle data collection. The diagnostic data are cyclical or event-driven read out from the ECU of vehicle and time synchronized with all other logging data recorded.
The parameterization of the diagnostic request is as simple as symbolic choice of CDD, PDX, ODX and MDX files with the help of the 'Vector Logger Suite'. The loggers support the common diagnostic protocols UDS, KWP2000 on CAN and OBD II.
Logging of ECU Parameters over CCP/XCP
The CCP/XCP logger option lets you time-synchronously log internal ECU parameters via cyclic DAQ lists or the polling mode. After an unexpected disconnection the GL loggers automatically restart the CCP/XCP connection.
GL3000/GL4000/GL5000 loggers also support the recording of internal ECU data with a Vector VX module and serial POD without load on vehicle buses. XCP on Ethernet (DAQ mode) enables a significantly higher data rate than XCP on the vehicle buses. Measurement data from CSM EtherCAT® modules can also be read out via XCP on Ethernet.
A CCP/XCP license must be installed on the logger. The license includes depending on the logger CCP/XCP on CAN, XCP on CAN FD, XCP on FlexRay and XCP on Ethernet.
Supported protocols are:
Seed & Key
CCP/XCP on CAN
All GL loggers
XCP on FlexRay
GL4000/GL5000 family only
XCP on Ethernet
GL3000/GL4000/GL5000 family only for recording via Vector VX modules with serial POD and CSM EtherCAT® XCP Gateway
To implement Seed & Key CANape 8.0 or higher is required.
Wireless Data Transfer
Wireless data transmission over Wi-Fi/WLAN or wireless communication
The Wi-Fi/WLAN and wireless communication logger options are available for wireless transmission of logging data from vehicles to a server as follows:
- GL2000/GL5000 families: Option 4G/LTE
- GL3000/GL4000 families: Option Wi-Fi/WLAN and 4G/LTE
To reduce the volume of data, you may transmit just a subset of the data. The loggers initiate the connection to your server. The trigger condition for initiating a connection is configurable.
With vLoggerCloud, Vector offers you a powerful turnkey infrastructure. At the same time, you get the optimal integration of the cloud into the Vector tool chain. You can find more details on the range of functions here.
As an alternative to the cloud solution, ML Server software is available that users can run on their own servers. This software communicates with the loggers and stores the logging data for each logger in its own structure and offers it new measurement configurations provided by the user for download.
GL1000 / GL1010
GL1000 is the optimal solution for operators of test fleets for logging the CAN and LIN data communication of small networks. Messages are saved and evaluated according to the loaded configuration. In addition, its very compact package simplifies the installation of the logger in any vehicle.
GL1010 is the IP65 variant for use in rough surroundings on test drives.
GL2000 / GL2010 / GL2400
GL2000 is the ideal solution for operators of test fleets to log the CAN and LIN data communication of moderate-sized networks. Messages are saved and evaluated according to the loaded configuration. The GL2000 is immediately ready to log from Standby mode, so the system start can be acquired. Wireless data transfer allows automated data exchange and remote reconfiguration. In addition, its compact package simplifies the installation of the logger in any vehicle.
GL2010 is the IP65 variant for use in rough surroundings on test drives.
GL2400 adds the CAN FD support to the GL2000 feature set.
GL3000 / GL3100 / GL3200 / GL4000 / GL4200
The loggers of the GL3000 family are the perfect solutions for operators of test fleets who need to record extensive CAN/LIN networks. The loggers are immediately ready for operation from Standby mode, so that the system start can also be acquired. The two independently configurable ring buffers provide a 2-in-1 solution, e. g. for long-term or event-driven logging. Wireless data transfer allows the automated data exchange and remote reconfiguration.
The loggers of the GL4000 family offer all of the functionality of the GL3000 family and also offer access to FlexRay.
Extends the GL3000 Family with CAN FD
Compared to GL3200:
- Higher performance, optimized for CAN FD and up to 4 cameras
- Long operating times due to higher memory capacity
- Easier connection of ethernet-based peripherals (LTE router, cameras, CSM modules,...)
GL5350 / GL5370 / GL5450
The GL5350 is the perfect solution for operators of test fleets who need to record extensive CAN/CAN FD/LIN/FlexRay networks. With its powerful hardware it supports you in demanding logging tasks. The loggers are immediately ready for operation from Standby mode, so that the system start can also be acquired. The three independently configurable ring buffers provide a 3-in-1 solution, e. g. for long-term or event-driven or conditioned logging. Wireless data transfer allows the automated data exchange and remote reconfiguration.
GL5370 offers more CAN channels and significantly more CAN FD channels with the same range of functions.
The GL5450 is an extension to the GL5370 or GL5350 that allows Ethernet communication to be recorded on separate SSDs. It offers many interfaces that are used both for recording point-to-point communication, but especially for introducing measurement points, so-called TAPs, into an Ethernet network segment.
Vector Logger Suite
The Vector Logger Suite is the comfortable program for creating configurations for all loggers of the GL families. The program is already included in the scope of delivery.
The Vector Logger Suite is used to configure hardware settings for the CAN, CAN FD, LIN and FlexRay channels. This includes configuration of the filter and trigger conditions, logging of analog and digital inputs. CCP/XCP measurements and diagnostic requests for reading out internal ECU data are also configured with this program. LEDs can be set to indicate individual events. The Vector Logger Suite supports reading out the logged data and converting it to a variety of logging formats for the various target groups. In addition, the logging files can be easily exported from archived raw data (ZIP format) to other formats or with additional options – even later on.
The Vector Logging Exporter is a separate program for readout stations that enables convenient and intuitive conversion of the logged data of all Vector loggers in the necessary target formats for the various target groups. The program is included in the scope of delivery.
The Vector Logging Exporter automatically determines the logger type and the associated analysis package from the logging files. The data is selectively read from the connected logger, card reader, or a directory on a hard disk or server. You can quickly select the export settings for each target group using preset conversion profiles. With the Vector Logging Exporter, you thus provide the logged data promptly in the desired target formats to all target groups. In addition, the logging files can be easily exported from archived raw data (ZIP format) to other formats or with additional options – even later on.
Vector offers accessories for the data loggers of the GL1000/GL2000/GL3000/GL4000/GL5000 families to support your logging tasks optimally.
- Short overview of GL Logger facts (PDF)
- Short overview of vLoggerCloud facts (PDF)
- Short overview of GL5450 (PDF)
Do you have technical questions and are looking for suitable answers? Our KnowledgeBase provides the most important!Open the Vector KnowledgeBase
Let's talk about GL Logger. We will be happy to help you find the right GL logger for your application.