- Beginning of the page
HIL Validation of Automotive Radar Sensors
Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) and moreover Automated Driving Systems (AD) most often rely on radar sensor technology for environment perception due to its robustness to unpleasant environmental conditions.
With the help of DYNA4 virtual test drives, the planning and control part of such systems can already be tested in early development stages in pure software test setups such as model- or software-in-the-loop. However, at some point in time real system hardware such as the radar sensor unit must be tested.
Vector together with Rohde & Schwarz present a HIL system for comfortable testing of real radar sensor units in open-loop or closed-loop.
The joint system setup replicates real driving conditions to the sensor hardware. Artificial radar echoes together with consistent remaining bus signals are generated from the DYNA4 vehicle and traffic simulation.
- Less road testing and concurrent testing gives faster time-to-market by speeding up development cycle
- Cost reduction by reducing road test kilometers and the number of prototype vehicles
- Test critical functions such as emergency braking under safe conditions
- More confidence from using a future-proof test system, able to evolve to upcoming challenges
The system setup consists of the Vector DYNA4 virtual test drive software, which provides the environment simulation and the user interface for scenario configuration and test execution, and the Rohde & Schwarz radar test system, which generates dynamic artificial objects for the radar sensor under test based on ASAM OSI object lists implemented in the DYNA4 environment simulation software. Vector CANoe receives the radar sensor's bus output signals with the objects detected by the radar, and the software then analyzes and visualizes them. The detected objects are also compared with the simulated ground truth from DYNA4.
Start a Conversation
Are you interested in virtual test drives for ADAS/AD function development? Then let's talk!
Helping to simplify closed-loop simulations. Fom MIL, SIL to HIL.
DYNA4 Key Features
Virtual Test Driving in Open-Loop or Closed-Loop Scenarios
- Vehicle under test and traffic scenarios
- Detailed vehicle dynamic simulation
- Deterministic & stochastic traffic scenarios
- Sensor models
- Integrated sensors provide required information such as distances, relative speeds, RCS and more
- Different levels of details (occlusion, detection point)
- Various output formats (API specific, OSI, user defined)
- Environment with realistic OpenDRIVE road networks and fully automated 3D visualization
- Your ADAS functions integrated from MIL, SIL to HIL
- More about DYNA4
ADAS Feature Set in CANoe
Testing ECUs and Networks with the ADAS Feature Set
- Enables the creation of simulations to test ADAS functions and ADAS ECUs based on ASAM-OSI-objects
- Object lists are defined according to the ASAM OSI standard and are already available in a database (vCDL)
- Display of ADAS object lists and their objects in the Trace Window
- Scene Window for display of detected objects
- Prepared sample configurations to demonstrate the use of different simulation environments
Rohde & Schwarz Radar Test Solution
Radar Echo Generator and Antenna Array
Perfect for testing the most advanced automotive radar sensors
- Future proof with up to 4 GHz instantaneous bandwidth in the 76/79 GHz radar band
- Generation of dynamic targets with distances from <4m to >1000m
- Simulating multiple independent targets at the same time with individual distance, radial velocity, object size and angular directions
- Spatial moving targets without mechanical movement thanks to an innovative antenna array technology
Designed for HIL testing of radar based ADAS and autonomous driving functions
- Fully scalable solution – use multiple QAT100 antenna array frontends connected to a single AREG800A echo generator to expand the depictable field of view
- Built-in HIL co-processor and interface for synchronization of multiple echo generators to create large scenarios
- Seamless integration via OSI into the Vector virtual test driving platform
More about R&S automotive radar test systems